Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States, and research has shown it is a devastating cycle repeated generation after generation.
Some studies suggest as many as 10 million children a year are exposed to domestic violence, making them more prone to destructive behaviors such as drug abuse and violence toward peers, and more likely to suffer from depression and anxiety.
But when victims and their children seek refuge at places like Bethany House to recover, they gain improved coping skills and increased safety.
FAMILIES SERVED IN 2020
- 23 Adult survivors and 48 children provided with safe transitional shelter
- Average adult age: 37 years old
- Average child age: 7 years old
- Survivors stayed an average of 427 days (about 14 months)
- 13,849 nights of Shelter and Advocacy provided to adults and children
- An additional 3,104 nights of safe housing provided in our Step Up program
- Over 4,000 advocacy contacts provided to survivors participating in Bethany House’s shelter and Step Up services.
RETURN ON INVESTMENT
Domestic violence is a public health and economic issue. In addition to improving the health, safety, and well-being of the survivors we serve, Bethany House also delivers significant social cost savings throughout Northwest Ohio.
Every $1 invested in Bethany House saves our community $65.43 in social costs avoided in police enforcement, lost work productivity, the justice system, and mental health services for adults and children served by Bethany House.
The figures below represent savings per survivor served, per year.
Public Assistance Savings
Justice System Savings
Lost Work Savings
PROGRAM PARTICIPANT FEEDBACK
We encourage participant feedback through comprehensive and research-based evaluations. Upon exiting Bethany House, survivors are asked to complete an Adult Shelter Feedback Form. Responses to three key questions are provided below.
- I developed a safety plan: 100% agreed
- Kindness was shown to me: 100% agreed
- I would recommend Bethany House to others: 100% agreed